palindrome

the new goings on in a new town in the Pacific Northwest.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Perfect Conceptuals

Over the past few years I've begun to appreciate the concept album. I find it's a great way to focus a band's sound when they're telling stories. If the concept album works and the large story is clear - while giving perfect individual songs along the way, it's quite an accomplishment. Two of my favorite 'concept' albums are:
the Extraordinaires - Ribbons of War

Holy crap. When I discovered this album three years ago I listened to it nonstop for two months. I soon introduced everyone I knew to it because of its simple brilliance. The Extraordinaires are a fairly young band out of Philly, but they sound like a group of old folk-storymen on this record.
The concept/rock opera of Ribbons of War is a brilliant piece of lo-fi indie folk music from start to finish.


the Black Heart Procession - Amore del Tropico

The concept album of Amore del Tropico is the dark side of love gone wrong. While Ribbons of War tells a story of heartache, the Black Heart Procession have always been able to illustrate the seedy underbelly of all things (especially love). Here on this tropical love adventure Pall Jenkins and Company weave a tale of love destruction and sadness. It's haunting and Beautiful and at the same time, the creepiest thing you've ever heard... and I love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home