palindrome

the new goings on in a new town in the Pacific Northwest.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

more flavorite ablums...

the Most Secret Method - get lovely

I just went through my itunes and put together a playlist of albums I think our perfect for whatever reasons. There are 23 of them, so I guess I have something in common with both Michael Jordan and Jim Carrey.
Nevertheless - When I left college in 1998 (a year shy of graduating) I did a lot of growing up in a little amount of time. It was the way I chose to do it. I could have forced myself to stay in school for another year and graduate with a degree in theater and creative writing, but I seriously doubt I could be in a better place than I am right now. I wasn't learning anything, nor was I enjoying myself. I knew where I wanted to be - and that's where I went. I moved into the city to study and perform improvisational comedy - and I loved all ten years I was in Chicago with all the good and bad things that happened along the way, I wouldn't change a day of it.
This album by The Most Secret Method is one of the three records I had on repeat for my first few months living in the city by myself. (The other two will be posted on this list, I'm sure). The trio of brothers Marc and Ryan Nelson with Johanna Claasen start with a foundation of DC/Dischord style punk, but they make it there own. For the band to have three members, this is one of the strangest, most full albums I own. I always fall in love with this album when I listen to it. I'm not sure if everyone will encounter the same effect, but this one does it for me. It's aggressive and beautiful, taking it's time between crazy outbursts of guitar and yelps. This record means a lot to me and will always take me back to that point in my life where I was really figuring out who I was and who I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home