palindrome

the new goings on in a new town in the Pacific Northwest.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

the Important things

I've been reading a lot about the 10 year anniversary of Neutral Milk Hotel's album IN The AEROPLANE OVER THE SEA lately. I suppose it's my way - that if I'm told to like something, or that I will love something before I hear it, I approach it with too much trepidation. While I think Aeroplane is a good album, I'm one of the few people who it has never really hit. I enjoy both NMH albums and like a lot of what the Elephant 6 Collective was putting out in the mid-to-late 90's... I can't say I am the type of indie rock music nerd who has listened to In The Aeroplane Over The Sea more than 10 times in the 10 years it's been out. Their are portions of the album that I think are brilliant and beautiful, but there are other parts that drive me crazy in a bad way.

I thought I would put together some posts of the albums that are important to me. Meaningful to me and my life for whatever reason, in no particular order.

Spoon - Girls Can Tell

I had just quit my job and got a lower-paying, but more enjoyable job at Cornerstone Promotion doing on-line promoting for bands - thanks to Jason Anfinsen (he got me the job). It didn't pay much, but it was very easy and it allowed me to listen to a lot of new music. Those ten months or so at Cornerstone was a blast. I could come in whenever I wanted and listen to any of the promos we got in. While listening to internet radio while working the song "Lines in the Suit" came on and it hit me hard. That day I went to my local record store and sought out this album. Every song on here is perfect, to me. This album is thirty-six minutes of perfect indie rock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home