palindrome

the new goings on in a new town in the Pacific Northwest.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My top 10 of 2007

My own recap of my favorite releases of this year.

10)Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Probably the most intimate and beautiful album released this year. This album is for anyone who wishes TV on the Radio were best friends with Sam Beam. A unique twist for the hole left in your heart after the death of Elliott Smith.





09) Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog

I listened to this album many times during my move from Chicago to Portland. When I listen to it now I will always have images of a beautiful Wyoming Sunset.










08)Okkervil River - The Stage Names

It took a while for this album to hit me, but it has... hard. These boys know how to make emotionally driven music even when they're not trying.









07) St Vincent - Marry Me

Seeing Annie Clark live helped me understand how wonderful this album is. Such a huge, deep record for a multi-talented individual.









06) the Teeth - You're My Lover Now

Each year I seek out my favorite 'out of the blue' band/album and The Teeth took that slot this year. I got to see these guys live in Chicago before I left and there couldn't have been a better way to say goodbye.








05) Beirut - The Flying Club Cup

Zach Condon may be an elitist. He may also subscribe to the Morrissey-lifestyle newsletter, but damn can he make great music.










04) Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala

If I were to fall in love with one individual simply for the music he creates, it would be this individual. Jens Lekman has won my heart. sigh...









03) LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

This sophomore album is a perfect Dancey-post-punk record. The Debut LCD Soundsystem put out a few years ago went on a little too long and some songs were kept alive a little too long, even if you're dancing. Sound of Silver makes it look easy and sound even better.





02) Battles - Mirrored

When I think about the future of music, I hope this album influences the way young bands think when they're creating their albums.










01) Menomena - Friend and Foe























I now live in the same town as these three guys. This is the most enjoyable and creative album released this year and I enjoy it far too much.

Hooray for lists!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home