palindrome

the new goings on in a new town in the Pacific Northwest.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Music

I have been asked by a few friends for my 'best of' 2006 music compilations.
It's going to be a tough call this year - as I have found a lot of great new music,
but I've decided to break the mixes down into two different groups.

A) Albums. The top 10 albums released this year. simple.

B) Songs.
I have found a lot of great song released this year that don't have the full album to back them up...
but some of those songs are just so good. How am I to pick 20 or so to put on a compilation?
A lot of them are long songs, too.

I wish I new how to post MP3's here. I'll figure it out someday. For now, we're going to have to go with lists.

My list of great songs released in 2006 that didn't have a full album to back up their goodness:
Sound Team - movie monster
White Whale - nine good fingers
Band of Horses - funeral (I know a lot of folks LOVE this album, but it's too hippy for me)
Black Heart Procession - the spell
the Broadway Hus - tonight you belong to me (cover)
DeVotchKa - twenty-six tempations
Eagle*Seagull - your beauty is a knife I turn on my throat
the Elected - sun, sun, sun
the Extraordinaires - hi-five the cactus (short stories is not as strong as Ribbons of War)
the Hidden Cameras - awoo (the rest of the album is really terrible, but I love that song)
Infadels - murder that sound
the Kooks - sofa song
Mates of State - like u crazy
Mew - chinaberry tree
Murder by Death - one more notch
Oh No! Oh My! - walk in the park
the Paper Cranes - I'll love you until my veins explode
Peter Bjorn & John - young folks
Professor Murder - free stress test
Psapp - hi
Rahim - 10,000 horses
the Rapture - get myself into it
Sunset Rubdown - they took a vote and said no
Tap Tap - 100,000 thoughts
Thom Yorke - and it rained all night
Tokyo Police Club - nature of the experiment
TV on the Radio - I was a lover (lots of people love this album too, but it didn't strike me)

that's twenty six songs - and I'm leaving off the 13 or so albums I have in contention for my top 10 of 2006, which are:
Tapes 'N Tapes - the Loon (technically, it was released late 2005 - but more widely in 06)
Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
Danielson - Ships
the Extraordinaires - Ribbons of War
the Figurines - Skeleton
Midlake - the Trials of Van Occupanther
Man Man - Six Demon Bag
Swan Lake - the Beast Moans
the Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Jeremy Enigk - World Waits
Islands - Return to the Sea
Cold War Kids - Robbers & Cowards
Bears - Bears

Annuals - Be He Me (still not sure how I feel about this one...)
&
Bishop Allen - (the Months of 06 EP collection has got to be worth the weight of an album)

too much good stuff this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home